Wednesday, September 16, 2009

October Cover



Here's the latest cover I did for Minnesota Medicine magazine, which featured an article on the HIV virus.



This is a detail of the collage of the virus, consisting elements relating to the medical/research community. I used the diagram below as my source of inspiration.




But it didn't begin with a concept anywhere near the end result! The following are my initial thumbnails. The original instructions from the art director were to follow the article's premise, which was that the virus is evasive, mutates quickly, disguises itself within the very cells that are supposed to destroy it, it's a chameleon and quick-adapting. So I came up with some sketches and added splashes of color to indicate the impact that color could provide. But the resulting decision was that they preferred to see less. So we went with simplicity. It may be simple to look at, but to come up with the patterns and find the correct corresponding images was not very simple at all! But I do think it is an arresting image for the serious subject matter.





8 comments:

ArtfulArtsyAmy said...

wow. that is really cool. I like how multi-layered the seeming simple image is. very awesome!

Ascender Rises Above said...

very pretty for a subject so sad.

Andree Tracey said...

Thanks for your comments, both of you. This was one of my most difficult assignments ever, due to the sad nature of the theme, as you say. I was definitely not the best pick for this illustration (I even suggested they find another illustrator better suited!), as my style/nature is more whimsical than serous editorial. But with the art directors encouragement, I plowed ahead for this result.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful illustration. And the chameleon concept was very beautiful too.

Rui Sousa said...

Fantastic one, really great work!
congratulations!

Andree Tracey said...

Thank you, happychinchilla and Rui -your compliments are much appreciated!

Composting said...

Nice job with the assignment plus it was interesting to see what you used for source material.

Andree Tracey said...

Thanks, Composting...it was fun looking for images that were both relevant and able to fit into the composition!