Thursday, February 19, 2009

Listen to the Animals



Do you ever wonder where your mental imagery comes from? Lately I've been featuring animals who seem to be humans in my collages. I never bothered to think much about it (I find it disconcerting to analyze while creating) until I came across a wonderful Etsy website the other day, PaperStreet where I found a great selection of Royalty Free digital files for sale. This image is from a sheet of children's book illustrations. It took me back to my childhood love of reading fairy tales. It dawned on me that kids always know the truth - animals have a language and a world of their own which we would like to think parallels our own. But it doesn't - it's so much more fun and so much scarier than our own. But all those animals in Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass (the Walrus, the Mad Hatter, the Mock Turtle, etc.) totally fascinated me with their peculiar state of certainty in a topsy turvy world.

No comments: