Wednesday, May 21, 2008

ILLLUSTRATION FRIDAY - Baby




Original photo (detail)

Isn't she sweet? Sometimes when I am rummaging through the bins at a thrift store, it makes me sad to think family photos end up this way. And then when I took this vintage photo of the little girl home and looked at it closely in my computer program, I was shocked to see things that weren't apparent at first glance. She had a very poor complexion, bumps on her face. My imagination fired up and I thought, perhaps she was malnourished, as if her home life had not been the best, or she had been ill. She seemed to look forlorn. Oh, my heart went out to her, and I went to work with Photoshop. I smoothed out her complexion and put a blush on her, the whole time thinking you poor little dearie, after 100 years, you finally get the healthy glow you deserve! In the end, I transformed her into a happy healthy little princess, feeling that her spirit would appreciate this. I became very fond of her and wished I had known her in real life.

Sometimes we artists get a little WEIRD in the art-making process....

"Princess"
10" X 10" Mixed Media on Canvas
$175 plus $10 S/H = $185
SOLD

6 comments:

Ratlion said...

And how lucky for us that we do!
:)
Lovely.

Willie Baronet said...

Andree, you aren't weird, you just have a big heart. Great story!

Connie said...

Stay weird. Great image; can you believe those eyes in the photo!

NANCY LEFKO said...

I totally understand and feel the same about the discarded family photos...I also "rescue" them to use in my art....we're not weird...just sentimental. beautiful collage and heartfelt post.

Nancy Bea Miller said...

Wonderful! You are kindhearted as well as talented.

Isabel said...

I am sad about the baby. Glad you made her a princess.