Saturday, June 19, 2010

Letters Home



This is the first of the two collages I was commissioned to do for Hamline University in St. Paul, Minnesota. Initially I envisioned imagery highlighting the fabulous old architecture on the campus, but when I discovered the other photos in the university's archives, I changed direction. This letter is one of many written by a student in the early 1900's. She was not only prolific in her letter-writing, she was very wordy. Each letter was around 12 to 15 pages long. So you can imagine the details available to a reader today about life in and around school at the turn of the century!

This is the freshman class of 1900.

6 comments:

Sarah Pecorino said...

fantastic! I love everything about it!

Leyla Torres said...

I like the composition and the sense of color. It has a feel of mystery.

Leyla

Natura said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Very well put together. Love the idea.

Connie said...

Super image! Just imagine the length of her diary!

CĂ©lia Fernandes said...

this is special :)*