Sunday, August 10, 2008

Wind and Water



I'm working on an assignment at the moment, so to keep you entertained, I'm posting an old painting. Oldie but goodie. This is from my Suburban Landscape series (doesn't this look like your neighborhood?). You can see more of these paintings at my website: www.andreetracey.com.

It occurred to me as I was posting this image that I seem to have a repeating theme in my artwork. I love water scenarios and also air. Many of my images, whether collage, illustration or photos, seem to have one of these two backgrounds. In this case, this painting was inspired by a dream I had of being in a house under water, and looking out the picture window at the ocean on the other side. I was on the phone, and the phone line ran from the house to the surface. If the water represents my subconscious, and the phone line represents communication, I must have been in need of some advice. And the children swimming in the water? I just made that up. I saw a photo of children deep sea diving in some tropical locale, and I thought this addition would make a fantastic composition as well as give it a narrative spin.

No comments: